Shermans Travel » Blog » Archive
Tag Results: British Columbia
In just a few days, the New Year will dawn – and we all know what that means: Many a resolution will be made. I am writing this now in hopes of urging all couples to make their number-one resolution for 2011 to get the most from their romantic travels in year ahead. Here’s how:
1. Be spontaneous. Sometimes the best trips are planned on very short notice. And at ShermansTravel.com, great last-minute travel deals are just a few clicks away.
2. Try a new Caribbean island. Far too many couples get caught in a vacation rut – revisiting the same spot year after year. Repeat getaways are safe and familiar, but it’s fun to head somewhere entirely new: If you like the Bahamas, consider Turks & Caicos or the British Virgin Islands (shown above at left). If you like St. Thomas, try Barbados or St. Lucia. If you’re a fan of Aruba, try Grand Cayman or Anguilla. If Puerto Rico is your usual spot, give Jamaica or Curacao a try.
The 2010 Winter Olympics might be (almost) over but don’t go home just yet. British Columbia is more than just wonderful alpine landscapes and fresh powder. Once the snow melts, Cypress, Seymour, and particularly Whistler Mountain, are taken over by hikers, mountain bikers and day-trippers who attend food and wine events, children’s art festivals, and more. But if you’ve had enough of the mountains, there are 47 ports of call—quaint seaside towns like Tofino, cultural cities like Victoria, and picturesque fishing towns along the Sunshine Coast—that are easily accessible and within a couple of hours of Vancouver. Here’s a quick guide of worthwhile trips easily undertaken with BC Ferries.
The Wickaninnish Inn is the place to stay in the quaint town of Tofino. The inn sits within a UNESCO biosphere reserve on land that has been inhabited by the First Nations people for thousands of years. Out the inn’s back door is Chesterman beach, a popular spot for storm watching during the winter months, when ferocious waves roll in from Japan and pound the rocky headlands, hurling themselves up on the pristine beach with astounding force. Tofino also has great surf for beginners. Surf Sister offers two-hour co-ed lessons that will have you standing on a board and catching a wave by the end of the day.
Remember how glorious Spring Break was during school days? The escape from the daily grind was the perfect boost through the remnants of winter. Well, there’s no reason not to experience a Spring Break-esque getaway as an adult – and add a dash of adrenaline, to boot. Here, a few of our favorite picks.
Pacific Rim Whale Festival, British Columbia, March 6-14: Forget the madness of the Olympics and opt for a more chill way to enjoy the rugged beauty of British Columbia – and its majestic sea mammals. Each spring, Pacific Grey whales migrate north along the coast of Vancouver Island to their summer feeding grounds in the Bering and Chukchi Seas. Take advantage of free viewing stations in Ucluelet and the Pacific Rim National Park, with other viewing spots along the rocky headlands between Ucluelet and Tofino. Or book a whale-watching trip with a local charter boat or float plane for a more up-close look.
Do you and your fiancé agree that you are truly, madly, deeply in love—but that you also truly, madly, deeply disagree on where you’ll enjoy post-wedded bliss? Take heart: Plenty of couples face a honeymoon split decision. She wants relaxation and he wants adventure; she wants a safari and he wants museums; she wants gourmet cuisine and he wants an all-inclusive party scene. To avoid an endless debate that can ruin your big day, compromise is key. So here are 21 options designed to satisfy you both:
Beach + Culture
• Bali — This Indian Ocean gem is ringed by beaches while its lush, jade-hued interior bursts with temples (Balinese-Hindu), creativity (jewelry, carvings, music and dance) and a soul-stirring karma you’ll never forget.
• Greece — Pair a few days ogling the Acropolis and other ancient wonders in sprawling Athens with isle-hopping to sunny outposts such as stunning Santorini, hedonistic Mykonos, mythical Crete or scenic Corfu.
• Thailand — The southern beaches around Phuket and Krabi are some of the world’s most stunning, while Bangkok and Chiang Mai brim with remarkable temples, markets and traditional dance. Read more
Sign up for the Top 25 Newsletter
to get exclusive weekly deals