Eco-friendly practices at hotels and resorts not only protect the environment, but actually save the properties a lot of money, too. We love that some destinations are passing those savings along to guests, in a range of perks from reward points to free food and drinks. After all, do you really need to change your sheets every day when you could get a free cocktail to sip by the pool, instead?
1. Starwood Hotels and Resorts: Through the Make a Green Choice program, guests can say “no” to housekeeping at participating properties, for up to three days in a row. The reward? Receive 250-500 Starpoints or a $5 food and beverage voucher for each night that you forgo maid service.
2. art’otel: Similarly, European destinations of this modern-chic chain reward guests staying for two nights or longer who opt out of housekeeping services. Instead, guests can choose from 1,500 Gold Points, a 10 percent food discount, or a €3 donation to charity each night.
3. Holiday Inn: Select properties offer a Go Green Get Points package for stays from two to four nights. Give up room cleaning and earn 1,000 points.
4. Martin’s Hotels: This Belgium hotel collection has a strong ecological focus, as you’ll see in the educational signage throughout each of the brand’s properties. Upon check-in, guests receive a list of suggestions of good green practices for their stay. Participate in all five — from re-using bath towels to taking public transportation — and you can earn up to 50 Eco vouchers over a two-night stay. You can redeem 100 Eco Vouchers for a Martin’s Gift Card worth €50.
5. Lindner Hotels and Resorts: This European chain is trying out a new initiative at select properties, perhaps one of the most generous we’ve heard about. Here, skipping housekeeping means enjoying everything in the minibar for free — including snacks, drinks, and alcohol.