Shermanstravel Blog

10 People to Avoid on Airplanes

February 12, 2013 by

Annoying People on AirplanesI have a running list of people I tend to avoid on planes. So, if you find yourself falling into any of these categories, know that I will probably look (and maybe even walk) the other way if we encounter each other on our next flight.

1. The person with incredibly long legs
There is a seat back-button for a reason. It means I would like the option of stretching my back (and will always take it). I’d prefer that your knees don’t dig into my lower back. On the other hand, I may not have long legs, but I would like to enjoy my leg space without you infringing (read: kicking me) upon my designated area.

2. The person who didn’t wash their hands in the bathroom
Do I really need to explain how pivotal it is to wash your hands and keep things sanitary when you’re packed in a small space with hundreds of other strangers?

Annoying People on Airplanes3. The seatmate with no knowledge of personal space
“Why yes, I would like to be moved to the exit row. Please and thank you.”

4. The heavy drinker
Many things could go wrong, but none of them are good: throw up, spilling on me, the incessant need to use the bathroom, overly friendly drunks, belligerent drunks, kicked-off-the-plane drunks, the list goes on.

5. The sick or smelly person
This one goes hand in hand with the need to wash your hands on an airplane. I don’t want to be stuck next to someone who is coughing all over me, not covering their mouth when they sneeze, or smells a little bit funky (a little bit goes a long way on planes).

6. The crying baby
I feel for parents with crying babies. Personally, I’m not that bothered by it, because there’s not much you can do to calm a baby when their ears are popping and they didn’t get enough sleep the night before; but, I do recognize that it can get pretty old on a cross-country or ocean flight…

Annoying People on Airplanes7. The overweight person
This is always a controversial topic, but it’s pretty clear to me that we all paid for our own seats, so no one should take up anyone else’s space. Stay out of my seat; it’s only fair.

8. The talker
If I’m traveling by myself, I generally don’t like to interact with other people (unless they’re attractive). So when someone starts talking to me immediately after they sit down, I take that as a sign that I should put my headphones in or say I’d like to get some quiet reading done.

9. The tech-fanatic
There’s a reason why there’s an announcement to shut off all portable electronic devices – I may not know what it is, but I can only assume it’s because hearing the sound effects of Angry Birds all flight long would be really annoying (to me).

10. The overhead bin offenders
There’s a reason the gate-check person asked if you’d like to check your bag for no charge. IT WON’T FIT. No matter how long you caress and finesse it; you’re still going to be that annoying person who has to go back down the aisle (holding everyone else up) to check it.

Annoying People on AirplanesI could go on an on – people who turn the lights on when you’re sleeping, armrest hogs, people who constantly need to use the restroom (and chose the window seat), toddlers who kick your seat, women who wear short skirts (it weirds me out – think about everyone who sat there before you!).

Who are your least favorite flyers? Tell us below!

9 Comments

• Laura M. says:

I love number one! I hate when people complain when you put your seat back. The button is there for a reason! Just put your seat back if it bothers you that much. If we are going to be on the plane for more than an hour or two, that seat is going back!

• Kaitlin L says:

This is a great list! I also can’t deal with being in the aisle seat when the person in the window seat has an overactive bladder. Please just let me sleep on my flight and not get up 5x because you have to pee so much! If you need to use the restroom a lot, please book an aisle seat.

• Elaine I says:

I hate when anyone puts their seat back. My tray and drink ends up right in my lap. Until the airlines increase the space between the seats, no seat should be able to recline.

• Elaine Carey says:

When boarding, the passenger with the window seat, standing in the aisle blocking your path into the aisle so THEY CAN TAKE THEIR SEAT! They look at you like what’s taking so long? I’ve had to literally step over the arm rest because they wouldn’t budge. I’m over 60, slender & still fairly nimble but REALLY-how am I supposed to move out of my seat if I can’t get out because YOU ARE standing there?

• henry says:

traveled many times never complain, very happy man it is what it is the air plain company don’t have not much option, so what. be friendly to everyone and they give you good back with the intrest, good luck

h e n r y

• mitch says:

Ok – you sound like someone I would want to avoid. You seem really entitled. You think people with long legs should just cut them off? And – so you think window seat people aren’t allowed to pee? Seriously? What about that middle squished person. Squished and can’t pee? Where does the airline put the “aren’t allowed to pee because the aisle seat person wants to sleep the entire trip” notice? I missed it. And – when airlines make seats so ridiculously small that only 5’5″ people who weigh 100 pounds or less can fit in them, then it is their problem when larger people come on board. My biggest beef isn’t on your list – and that is the pet mongers! What the heck that people have their dogs running around in the plane now – and cats. Those of us who are allergic can’t get away from them on planes? RIDICULOUS!

• J. Ruud says:

My beef is with people behind or beside me on a plane who
    chatter the entire time……take no time to come up for
    air…..share every little detail of every marriage…. brag about the kids and their high intellect….detail
    for all around them their latest diet….recent lush
    vacation OR hint every which way they can think of to
    intimate how much money they are making OR better yet….
    their importance to their company and how it would fold
    without them!!!!! Yes, those people are out there. Too
    bad they don’t serve electrical tape on planes.

• Susan says:

When I perceive that the person in front of me is about to push his/her seat back, I firmly push the seat for a minute or two. They eventually give up, thinking that the seat is broken!

• Mabel says:

Well, Amanda, I’d prefer not to have long legs if it means I have to cram myself into a tiny space or pay to upgrade just so entitled people can slam into my knees with impunity. Sorry for the accident of birth that made me tall.