Shermans Travel » Blog » Paris Gets Its First Gay Hotel: The Jules et Jim
Paris Gets Its First Gay Hotel: The Jules et Jim
The City of Lights just turned a pinker hue. Joining the ranks of Berlin, Barcelona, and Buenos Aires (Axel Hotels), Miami (Lords South Beach), and Fort Lauderdale (Royal Palms), Paris unveiled its first “straight-friendly” hotel this past Monday after nearly 19 months of construction. Located in where else? The Marais.
Christened Jules et Jim after François Truffaut’s iconic New Wave ode to bohemian polyamory, the hotel is open to all, but specifically marketed our way. Sexy and seductive, it offers up subdued luxury with partners from Moët Hennessy Diageo, Kusmi tea, Supra, and various photo galleries – the entire entrance hall is one big art show – to craft an environment that feels both high-tech contemporary, yet comfortably classic. Its 23 rooms are divided between an 18th-century house turned duplex (“Jim”) and a more modern eight-story tower (“Jules”) with views out over the rooftops of the Marais and Sacré-Cœur. The two buildings surround two quiet cobblestone courtyards and bar: It’s sure to become a new hub for Parisian trendsetters.
- Simple and sustainable decor: glass, stone, hewn lumber, Hi-Macs surfaces (a type of composite), and low lighting; fine linens, true soundproofing, and AC are all standard
- An outdoor fireplace for those brisk winter nights
- Free use of Wi-Fi and iPod docks
- Wines at the bar are limited to 10 red wines and five whites, to be both approachable and affordable; curated by Stéphane Derenoncourt of Terres Millésimées
- Relaxed service: Supra shoes and Lacoste polos are the only uniforms here
- Library features 150 works of literature, comics, and art books, all of which are available in French and English
- Breakfast served late, till 1pm: freshly squeezed fruit juice, tea and coffee, plus a buffet with traditional pastries, fresh Jean-Yves Bordier butters and yogurts, Alain Millat jams, seasonal fruits, and soft-boiled eggs
- Art gallery entrance hall in the reception area; a rotating photo gallery of provocative images will also be open to the public
- Kusmi teas and Maison Francis Kurkdjian candles (he’s of Gaultier’s Le Male) custom-crafted for the hotel
- Special arrangements for discounts at the nearby gym at Le Klay and private cruises on the Seine with Murano, an old Venetian water taxi
- Co-hoteliers Antoine Brault and Geoffroy Sciard emphasize special events throughout the year, such as live DJ sets, acoustic performances, and other art/music parties to keep the vibe lively yet exclusive
- Superb location: heart of Paris, and especially gay Paris, a 5-minute walk from the Centre Pompidou and 10 minutes from the Montorgueil area and City Hall
Price start at $234/night and run as high as $717/night. Visit www.hoteljulesetjim.com for more info.
Leave a Comment
Sign up for the Top 25 Newsletter
to get exclusive weekly deals